Executive Medical Director at AHP/URMC
University of Rochester Medical Center
- Internal Medicine
- Physician Executive
- Public Health/Preventive Med
Executive Medical Director AHP/URMC
University of Rochester Medical Center
The University of Rochester (UR) is one of the country’s leading research universities. With more than 2,500 faculty members and instructional staff, UR offers more than 200 academic majors and is home to over 11,000 students. Learning at UR is on a very personal scale; it is among the smallest and most collegial of the top research universities and emphasizes collaborative interactions. The motto of the university, Meliora (“ever better”), captures the continuous progress that has defined UR since its founding in 1850. While the university is one of the smallest Carnegie “very high research activity” research universities, it has a number of departments ranked among the best of their fields.
Accountable Health Partners (AHP) is a clinically integrated network of the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC), consisting of 8 hospitals and ~ 2000 physicians that exists to deliver quality healthcare and an outstanding patient experience. AHP’s vision is to bring together community and faculty physicians, hospitals and other providers to align incentives, improve population health, to provide patient-centered care and to promote efficient use of resources. Through participation with AHP, providers can ensure the long-term success of patients and providers in an era of value-based payments.
One of the nation’s leading academic medical centers, URMC forms the centerpiece of the university’s biomedical research, teaching, patient care, and community outreach missions, accounting for over 80% of UR’s revenue. URMC’s overall academic and clinical enterprise has a budget of almost $2.5 billion, and the main campus occupies 4.9 million square feet of space, situated in close proximity to the University’s River Campus. Led by CEO and Dean Mark Taubman, MD, the medical center has an integrated administrative structure, budget, and strategic plan. Together with its health system, URMC is comprised of:
• School of Medicine and Dentistry
• University of Rochester Medical Faculty Group
• School of Nursing
• Eastman Institute for Oral Health
• Strong Memorial Hospital
• Golisano Children’s Hospital
• Highland Hospital
• James P. Wilmot Cancer Institute
• Del Monte Institute for Neuromedicine
• Visiting Nurse Service
• Thompson Health
• Recent additional regional affiliates: Jones Memorial Hospital and Noyes Memorial
URMC continues to grow its regional clinical network and currently collaborates with several hospitals in western New York.
URMC and its School of Medicine and Dentistry rank within the top quarter among U.S. medical centers for federal research funding. Its healthcare delivery network is anchored by Strong Memorial Hospital, a university-owned teaching hospital boasting programs consistently recognized nationally.
URMC’s mission is to be nationally recognized for improving health through transformative approaches in compassionate care, education, and research.
URMC is transforming its clinical enterprise to include an accountable care network, creating a multi-county regional delivery system that cares for its communities, discovers innovative ways to improve care, and trains its future health care workforce. The URMC clinical enterprise across all sites has been branded “UR Medicine” to bring clarity, consistency, and visibility to this growing network. As an integrated campus with university-owned schools, hospitals, and related facilities, URMC is outstandingly well-positioned to make a major impact on the region and to serve as a model nationally.
Rochester is the seat of Monroe County, New York. Situated east of Buffalo, west of
Syracuse, and northwest of New York City, it is at the center of a large metropolitan area that includes the neighboring counties of Genesee, Livingston, Ontario, Orleans, and Wayne. The Rochester region has a population of about 1 million, while the broader area of western New York has a population of approximately 1.7 million. The City of Rochester, population of approximately 200,000, is New York’s third-most populous city after New York City and Buffalo. Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario, where the Great Lakes meet the vineyard-dotted Finger Lakes, Rochester provides easy access to a wealth of four-season outdoor recreation.
Rochester became America’s first 19th-century “boomtown,” rising to prominence initially as the site of many flour mills located on the Genesee River and as an important stop along the Erie Canal. Today, it is an international center of higher education and medical and technological development. The region is known for many acclaimed universities, and several of them (notably the University of Rochester and the Rochester Institute of Technology) are nationally-renowned for their research programs. In addition, Rochester continues to be the site of many important inventions and innovations in consumer products.
The Rochester metropolitan area is the second-largest regional economy in New York State, after the New York City metropolitan area. Its lively “knowledge economy” draws its strength from established companies such as Xerox, Bausch and Lomb, and Eastman Kodak, and their many small business spin-offs, including growing telecommunications, biotechnology, and information technology enterprises. In recent years, the University of Rochester has become the largest employer in the Rochester area and the sixth-largest private employer in New York State.
In July 2015, a consortium of organizations — led by the University of Rochester, Rochester Institute of Technology, and SUNY Polytechnic Institute — was selected by the Department of Defense as winners of the American Institute for Manufacturing Integrated Photonics competition. This $600 million initiative will be headquartered in Rochester and comprises more than 90 leading industry and academic partners in 18 states. The focus of the new institute will be to drive the innovation necessary to create new types of devices that use light and electricity for communications and data processing, technologies that will have a wide array of potential applications, ranging from telecommunications to national security to medical devices. Rochester will be home to the research and development, technology commercialization and incubation, and administrative elements of the institute.
Rochester consistently receives high rankings nationally as a “most livable city,” for overall quality of life, and as one of the very best places to raise a family. The region has outstanding, highly-ranked public and private schools, with a relatively modest cost of living and a stable, affordable housing market. Home to the renowned Eastman School of Music, the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival (among the nation’s most popular and respected), Rochester enjoys economic stability and a level of arts, culture, sports, and dining comparable to that of many larger cities.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Executive Medical Director (EMD) for Population Health Management will be a visionary leader responsible for improving the quality and cost of care in the across the AHP network and serve as a full time member of the URMFG. The EMD will expand clinical integration efforts to facilitate moving from fee for service to value based models of care. This work will provide an organizational focus on PHM, coordinate available resources, align educational activities and policies, facilitate comparative effectiveness research and lead the development of new models of care delivery that help secure our competitive advantage in the future.
Has a direct reporting relationship to the CEO of Accountable Health Partners and the CEO of URMFG.
Directly oversee the AHP Associate Medical Directors.
- Participate as a member of the AHP senior leadership team and be ex officio to the AHP Board of Directors as an active proponent of our population health management strategy.
- Participate on University of Rochester Medical Faculty Group Executive Committee as an ex officio member.
- Establish close relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure alignment of care delivery models.
- Develop and monitor clinical integration programs which include, Patient Centered Medical Homes, Chronic Disease Management, Utilization Management, Clinical Pharmacy, and Care Transitions.
- Provide oversight of existing and yet to be developed AHP committees including Quality and Integrated Practices Committees (IPC) which focus on specific Disease Entities, Medical Syndromes or other Clinical Conditions.
- Develop strategies and actionable steps to optimize quality outcomes at the lowest cost through the promotion of evidenced based practice, the development of clinical management guidelines, reduction of unwarranted variations in care, enhanced workflow efficiencies and improved patient experience through the work of the IPC’s.
- Develop and monitor key population health performance indicators and work with stakeholders to enhance them.
- Work closely with care management leadership and staff to enhance the coordination and efficient delivery of care across settings.
- Closely monitor network performance on cost and quality measures; address performance issues that arise and identify strategies of performance improvement throughout the network.
- Collaborate with leadership to propose aligned incentives to reward performance.
Budgets and Resources Available to the CMO
Administrative Assistant provided
Budget approved for staff and expenses come from AHP
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS, Experience and Attributes
Candidates for this position must be a Physician with active Medical License in New York State; must qualify for academic or professional appointment as Associate Professor or higher. Desirable candidates will have a Master’s degree; preferably ten years’ of experience as a health care leader/administrator; and experience working in a complex, matrixed health care system.
Outstanding candidates for this position will possess the following characteristics:
- High emotional quotient and communication skills across a diverse group of providers
- High energy – intellectually curious – excited by a challenge
- Respectful of and sensitive to local organizational culture
- Collaborative by nature
- Outstanding communications skills
- Oriented towards operational efficiency
- Strong clinical background including both in-hospital and ambulatory setting
- Strong academic background
- Evidence of engagement with data to direct clinical practice through experience with peer reviewed comparative effectiveness research, quality management, value based contracting or lean processing
- Experience in the creation and application of clinical management guidelines
- Experience with electronic health records
- Understanding of clinical governance structures, policy development and the relationship to assessment and assurance
- Commitment to the Mission of AHP and improving the Quality and Cost of Care for our patients
- Commitment to the Mission of URMC and the University of Rochester
- Able to work with and build trust with employed and independent physicians and non-MD administrators
- Able to develop interdisciplinary teams, garner support and serve as a catalyst for change
- Able to be an inclusive consensus builder who is comfortable working in a highly matrixed setting
- Able to plan, organize and manage multiple high priority demands to meet AHP’s goals.
Compensation arrangements are competitive and are commensurate with both experience and achievement. The University of Rochester offers an excellent benefit package.
INQUIRIES/HOW TO APPLY
Inquiries should be addressed to Dena Guggino, HR Business Partner, phone 585-273-2469 or email Dena_Guggino@urmc.rochester.edu. Applicants should submit electronically a cover letter and complete curriculum vitae to Ms. Guggino, and also apply via the University Human Resources website at www.rochester.edu/jobopp
The University of Rochester is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Professional Services Executive Medical Jobs
- View more Internal Medicine Jobs
- View more Physician Executive Jobs
- View more Public Health/Preventive Med Jobs
- View more University of Rochester Medical Center Jobs
View More Jobs in Rochester, NY:
- View more jobs in Rochester, New York
- Professional Services Executive Medical jobs in Rochester, New York
- Internal Medicine jobs in Rochester, New York
- Physician Executive jobs in Rochester, New York
- Public Health/Preventive Med jobs in Rochester, New York
- University of Rochester Medical Center jobs in Rochester, New York