Announcement of Academic Positions
University of Cyprus
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
- Surgery, General
ANNOUNCEMENT OF ACADEMIC POSITIONS AT THE MEDICAL SCHOOL
University of Cyprus. Excelling with the excellent.
The University of Cyprus was officially founded in 1989 and started operating in Nicosia, the capital of Cyprus, in 1992. Within a short time, the University of Cyprus managed to achieve international recognition through an impressive course of development. Today, it is ranked 55th young university (under 50 years) and #351-400 worldwide by the Times New Higher Education Rankings.
These great distinctions are the result of our dedication to excellence and continuous development. The University of Cyprus managed to stand out and receive awards for the new paths it has opened up in particularly demanding and dynamic contexts of research.
The University of Cyprus becomes better every year; therefore it wishes to attract the best academic staff.
To this end, the University constantly develops its programs of study and recruits high-caliber faculty who will contribute significantly to the design of new curricula, both at undergraduate and graduate level. One of the strategic aims of the University of Cyprus is the further promotion and development of research, in which new academic staff are expected to play an essential role.
1 Announcement of academic positions
The University of Cyprus invites applications for the following academic positions at the MEDICAL SCHOOL.
Two (2) positions at the ranks of Professor or Associate Professor
One (1) position at the rank of Associate Professor
Two (2) positions at the ranks of Lecturer or Assistant Professor
All five (5) positions are announced in all medical specialties, but priority will be given to the following specialties:
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Medical Education
The minimum qualifications required for each academic rank can be found at:
Further requirements for appointment depend on academic rank and include: prior academic experience, research record and scientific contributions, experience in teaching and in the development of high quality undergraduate and graduate curricula.
The official languages of the University of Cyprus are Greek and Turkish. For the above positions, good knowledge of both Greek and English is required.
Holding the citizenship of the Republic of Cyprus is not a requirement.
The annual gross salary (including the 13th salary), according to current legislation, is:
Professor (Scale Α15-Α16) €70,106.27 - €91,128.05
Associate Professor (Scale Α14-Α15) €61,830.60 - €84,295.77
Assistant Professor (Scale Α13-Α14) €57,694,26 - €77,811.11
Lecturer (Scale Α12-Α13) €43,851.21 - €71,358.82
Beyond the annual gross salary, all appointees in clinical subjects will receive additional remuneration, amounting to 20% of the regular salary for the rank of Lecturer, 30% for the rank of Assistant Professor, 50% for the rank of Associate Professor, and 80% for the rank of Professor, as compensation for the clinical care they provide to patients in public hospitals, on the basis of the provisions of the special agreement between the Cyprus Ministry of Health and the University of Cyprus.
1.3.1 Salary scale classification of academic personnel appointed at the ranks of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor
Regarding the above position announcements, and in conformity with “The Non-Granting of Increases and Indexation Allowances to the Salaries Received by Officials and Employees and to the Pensions Received by Pensioners of the Government Service and the Wider Public Sector (Amendment) Law 2014” (N. 73(Ι)/2014), entered into force on 20/06/2014, the University of Cyprus is obliged to classify newly-appointed academic personnel on the basis of the provisions of Article 4Α(1), as follows:
An appointee who is not employed in the Government Service or in the wider public sector at the date this Law enters into force, and who is appointed to a position of First Appointment and Promotion with the same title and the same salary conditions as that of an employee of the government service or the wider public sector, as appropriate, whose salary, pursuant to the provisions of this Law, remains lower than the initial grade of the salary scale or the fixed salary of his/her appointment or promotion position, shall receive, for the duration of the term of validity of this Law, this lower salary. It is understood that[…].
On the basis of the above, a candidate applying for an academic position, who is not employed in the government service or in the wider public sector and is elected/appointed to a position at the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor, shall receive, according to Law N. 73(Ι)/2014, Article 4Α(1), the lowest salary received by existing academic personnel who have recently been promoted to the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor.
It is noted that, according to Circular 4.8 (http://ucy.ac.cy/legislation/volumea/4.8.html), members of academic staff have the right to undertake additional activities such as participating in external research programs, additional teaching, provision of consulting services to the private sector, or entrepreneurial activities, subject to approval by the University Council.
1.3.2 The Cyprus Income Tax Laws of 2002 to 2015 (Amendment) (Article 8, (21) & (23))
The above Laws stipulate the following:
(21) [Exemption of] twenty percent (20%) of the remuneration from any employment in the Republic of Cyprus of an individual who was not resident in Cyprus before the commencement of the employment in the Republic, or €8,550, whichever is the smallest. The exemption begins on January 1st of the year following the year in which the employment started and, irrespective of this, it applies until the year 2020, regarding employment that started in or after the year 2012, with five (5) years being the maximum time period for which the exemption is granted".
(23) [Exemption of] fifty percent (50%) of the remuneration from any employment in the Republic of Cyprus of an individual who was not resident in Cyprus before the commencement of the employment in the Republic.
It is understood that:
(i) The exemption is granted for ten (10) years of employment in the Republic of Cyprus, beginning with the year of employment, provided the income from said employment exceeds one hundred thousand (€100,000) Euros per annum.
(ii) This exemption is not granted to an individual who was resident in the Republic of Cyprus in any three (3) of the five (5) tax years preceding the year in which employment started, or to an individual who was resident in the Republic of Cyprus in the year preceding the year in which employment started.
(iii) The exemption is available in respect of any tax year in which income from employment exceeds one hundred thousand (€100,000) Euros per annum, irrespective of whether the income falls below that amount in any year, provided that when the employment started the income exceeded one hundred thousand (€100,000) Euros per annum and the tax authorities are satisfied that the variations in the annual income are not made for the purpose of obtaining this tax benefit.
(iv) The exemption provided by (21) does not apply when the exemption provided by this paragraph is applied.
(v) The provisions of (ii) apply in the case of an individual whose employment starts on or after the date the Cyprus Income Tax (Amendment) (Nr. 2) Law 2015 enters into force.
2 Submission of applications
Applications must be submitted by Monday, 20th of February 2017. The application dossiers must include two (2) sets of the following documents in printed and two (2) sets in electronic form (i.e. 2 sets of hardcopies and 2 USB sticks with the documents in PDF (Portable Document Format) or Word format):
- A letter of interest stating the academic rank or ranks the applicant is interested in, the specialty, as well as the date when he/she is able to assume duties in the event of selection.
- Full Curriculum Vitae, based on the sample given below, including, among others: (a) any teaching experience, (b) a brief summary of previous research work (including a complete list of publications), (c) a statement of future research plans, (d) any administrative experience, and (e) a teaching plan of the relevant subject for the School curriculum. The full Curriculum Vitae must be submitted in Greek or Turkish, as well as in an international language, preferably English.
- Copies of the three most representative publications.
- Copies of degree certificates should be scanned and included both as hardcopy and in the USB sticks.
- Applicants must ask three (3) academic referees to send confidential recommendation letters in PDF form, directly from their e-mail accounts to the University, at email@example.com. Τhe names and contact details of these referees must be indicated in the application, as additional confidential information may be requested. The recommendation letters must reach the University by the above deadline (20 February 2017).
Individuals interested in applying both for the rank of Associate Professor and the ranks of Lecturer or Assistant Professor must submit separate applications (i.e. one separate application for the rank of Associate Professor and one separate application for the ranks of Lecturer or Assistant Professor), including in each application all items mentioned under I. – V. above.
The candidates selected will be required to submit copies of degree certificates officially certified by the Cyprus Ministry of Education (for degrees acquired from universities in Cyprus), or from the issuing authority (for degrees acquired from foreign universities).
Applications, supporting documentation and reference letters submitted in response to previous calls in the past will not be considered and must be resubmitted.
Incomplete applications, or applications not conforming to the specifications of this call, will not be considered.
All application material must be submitted, in person, to:
Human Resources Service
University of Cyprus
Anastasios G. Leventis Council/Senate Building
1678 Nicosia, Cyprus
Tel. +35722894158 / +
by Monday, 20th of February 2017, 2:00 p.m.
Alternatively, applications can be sent by post; they will be accepted as valid as long as the sealed envelopes are clearly post-marked by the deadline of February 20, 2017, and they reach the Human Resources Service by February 27, 2017, on the sole responsibility of the applicant.
For more information, candidates may contact the Human Resources Service (tel.: +35722894158 / +35722894155), or the Medical School (+35722894352).
18 November 2016
- § Name -Surname:
- § Contact Address:
- § Contact Telephone Number:
- § E-mail Address:
- § Date of Birth:
- § Nationality:
YOU ARE APPLYING FOR:
Studies, Level of Studies (Undergraduate, Graduate, Postgraduate), Degrees/Diplomas awarded, Name of Academic Institution/Education Centre, dates (from – to)]
[Title, University/ Hospital of Appointment and Responsibilities]
[Academic and/or Clinical Positions (University and Hospital Appointments, Title, Name and Place of University/ Hospital), dates (from – to)]
SUMMARY OF RESEARCH WORK
[Publications, Citations, Presentations at conferences, Research projects, Grants, etc.]
STATEMENT OF FUTURE RESEARCH PLANS
SUMMARY OF ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE/EXPERIENCE IN MEDICAL
EDUCATION/HEALTH CARE EDUCATION
[Administrative Positions (Name of organization/duties/responsibilities), dates (from – to)]
Teaching plan of the relevant subject
HONOURS AND AWARDS:
DATE ON WHICH YOU ARE ABLE TO ASSUME DUTIES IN THE EVENT OF SELECTION:
CONTACT DETAILS OF REFEREES:
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Announcer Jobs
- View more Cardiovascular Disease Jobs
- View more Internal Medicine Jobs
- View more Obstetrics/Gynecology Jobs
- View more Pathology Jobs
- View more Surgery, General Jobs
- View more University of Cyprus Jobs
View More Jobs in Nicosia, Nicosia:
- View more jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
- Announcer jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
- Cardiovascular Disease jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
- Internal Medicine jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
- Obstetrics/Gynecology jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
- Pathology jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
- Surgery, General jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
- University of Cyprus jobs in Nicosia, state_Nicosia
View More Jobs in Nicosia:
- View more jobs in state_Nicosia
- Announcer jobs in state_Nicosia
- Cardiovascular Disease jobs in state_Nicosia
- Internal Medicine jobs in state_Nicosia
- Obstetrics/Gynecology jobs in state_Nicosia
- Pathology jobs in state_Nicosia
- Surgery, General jobs in state_Nicosia
- University of Cyprus jobs in state_Nicosia